#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Friday, May 31, 2013

Hi! From Hawaii: "HI2" - From Honolulu Zoo

Aloha,
I thought I’d try a new weekly (pictorial) series called HI2 (short for “Hi! from Hawaii.”)
The inaugural HI2 is at the Honolulu Zoo

Set on thirty acres of prime, downtown land adjacent to Waikiki Beach and downtown Honolulu, the zoo is home to more than 1,200 animals and you can find out more here.
I’ll walk you around some of the places I know, share my thoughts, pictures and we’ll see what happens.(Please note: For today, and in any future HI2  posts, I won't do "official" reviews, (because *you* try discover something about, say an Indian Elephant, as No. 2 Son screams and runs one way, while No. 1 Son runs screaming the other way - and No. 3 Son just screams.)
I’ll gladly take requests for anything on O’ahu – although anyone who wants a review of the Honolulu nightlife will have to wait for years.
Everything I do is with the kids and/or the missus, so this is all family friendly, PG-6.  (OH yeah, no stopping this train, baby..... (until I have to add another quarter  :)
 
Tortoise 1 on left: (Four months ago): “Dude, you go first.”
     Tortoise 2: (last week): “No, pal, you go first.”
Tortoise 3: (in a huff) "Man, I hate traffic jams."
   
 
Who's looking at who, I wonder :)


 
 PS… Outside the Orangutan’s area, there is a “Zookeeper Note” that says, in part, “Due to the fact that we orangutans are normally quiet, solitary animals, we can be very sensitive to noise…” (I pitied the beasts once my lot went through...)
 
If you don't want to discuss the 800lb Elephant, that's Diamond Head in the background.



Oh little ones, if only I could share what I know...

 
Papa? Did that man just Photo Bomb my perfect shot?
 
 
African Savanna: Land of interesting Silver Circles...
   
...And awesome animals that work hard in chilling out.


 



We don't need no stinkin' Banana Boat!
 
 
Aquarium in the Keiki (Children's) Zoo (there's a tunnel, too!)
   
Which of these two wants to explore the Petting Zoo area?





No. 1 Son: "I'm trying!"
No. 2 Son (on knees): "Let me try." 
No. 3 Son: "Wottle. Milk Wottle."


 
Sure, you can touch the cute, sweet animals...
 



...But WATCH OUT FOR THE TIGER!!

 
My favorite exhibit at the Keiki Zoo.



 
 



Dreaming of Kit-kats or Meerkats?
 
 
 
 
 
 

20 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - I bet they are some hand(s)full .. and they will be for years and years to come .. lucky you!!!

No the zoo looks great and what a grand idea to show them the different, animals, bugs, birds, reptiles etc of the world ..

Cheers Hilary - Happy weekend ..

joeh said...

Nice, looks like everyone had a good time!

You should patent that HI2 thing...brilliant!

S.P. Bowers said...

What is it with boys and the silver circles on the ground? My son will ignore everything short of an airplane landing on top of him just to jump on those circles.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cages for kids - brilliant! You could make a fortune.
How about if you guys take the Jurassic Park helicopter ride?

Suzanne Furness said...

I loved that close up photo of the elephant's eye. Looks like a fun day out!

Al Diaz said...

Hahaha, so that's how one may expect to end after a tour with you? Excellent day at the zoo. :D

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

That zoo looks way more exciting than Hogle Zoo here in Salt Lake City. I've never seen a huge tortoise before.

M.J. Fifield said...

Love the pictures and the captions that go along with them.

I can't believe they don't let people pet the tiger.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Awwww

Just not into the goat, huh? lol

JJ said...

The only thing better than a zoo is taking children to the zoo. Good for you!

klahanie said...

Hi Mark,

What a fantastic zoo to take your children to. This was a wonderful virtual tour for which I thank you.

Personally, it might not be very clever for me to go to the zoo. They might not let me out :)

Is it true that if I visit Hawaii I can get a lei?

A peaceful weekend to you, my friend.

Gary :)

Leigh Covington said...

LOL! Excellent pictures! I love going to the zoo. And that photo bomb pic cracks me up!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Gorgeous photos - love the giant goldfish!

The Words Crafter said...

Meerkats! This looks like a fun trip. Your commentary is hilarious :) I love visiting the Asheboro Zoo here in NC. I wish it had an aquarium like yours.

I think HI2 is going to be a hit :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

What a great place. I love giraffes - I could watch them all day. And it's such a great day out for kids.

Kirsten said...

Adorable! Love the kids'-eye view of your amazing islands.
As for tour ideas: How about a peek at Hanauma Bay? Diamond Head would fun too, but I know that's a long haul to the tippy top.
I can't wait to read more of these--great idea!

Mark Means said...

Great pics and it looks like an awesome zoo. Looking forward to more of these :)

Melissa said...

I've decided that parents who have a 'night life' either have angels for children or round-the-clock nannies (or both). I have neither, so I have no life. LOL

Great pics! I'm gonna like this series. ;)

Suzi said...

If I ever come out to Oahu again, will you let me borrow those cute little guys to give us the zoo tour?

I love those big tortoises. They are totally cool.

Summer Ross said...

Mark- Happy Blitz day to you!
Wonderful post!
~Summer

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;