#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Reasons to be Thankful...

Aloha,

It’s always interesting when I meet new people for the first time.

They hear my Oirish accent, subdued, but always there, and I’m often asked if I’m from ____ and then it’s normally, “Like, dude… why did you come here?”

That story is shared elsewhere, but I always finish the above with a feeling of gratitude.

It’s not so much how I got here, but that I am here – and I am so deeply thankful to God and his many mercies that brought me here in January 1996.

It’s fair to assume that I’ve celebrated every one of the seventeen Thanksgiving holidays since I arrived, but my first AHA! Thanksgiving was actually my fifth. (Details here.)  

Now I find myself calling home or friends overseas to wish them a happy Thanksgiving and they’re all like, “Dude, it’s just Thursday.”

But, it’s not, is it?

Thanksgiving is – now that I get it – a time to (hopefully) catch up with family, break some bread, and maybe some heads… depending on how the annual arguments develop!

I’d like to share some reasons why I’m thankful:

 
 
·         Father “Al Diaz” Dragon (I think it’s simply delicious that Al’s name is now his nickname) put a huge amount of effort into his latest post and offered up a tribute to many of his Blogger friends.

I was honored to be included in the Dragon Hall of Fame, especially as I’ve lately spiraled out of writing control. To receive this boost of confidence from Al is something I can – and will – really hold on and grab with both hands.

·         I’m also thankful for the smaller things in life. For example, today I played with my three boys in the silly little plastic swimming pool we have sitting in our backyard.
Three sons, one sun - this past Sunday
 

·         As I hosed the pool down, I realized it’s the end of November and many families have battened down the hatches for winter. We are so blessed to live here in Hawaii.

·         I’m thankful for the men and women, including my wife, who serve our country and allow me and so many others the freedom to blog as we want.

·         And, I’m thankful to you, my blogging buddies, because no matter what happens in the future, I know I am a better writer, and more importantly, a better husband, father and friend because of the relationships that have grown through knowing many of you.
Dragon-related pictures courtesy of Father Dragon :)

Happy Thanksgiving, if you’re celebrating, and if not, Happy “It’s Just Thursday.”

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Do you call your friends on the Fourth of July as well? Or Columbus Day? Could really have fun with that.
Thankful to have met you as well, M-Koo!
Enjoy food and some sunshine tomorrow.

Kat Sheridan said...

Thankful this year to have made new friends in the blogosphere! Happy Thanksgiving!

Melissa said...

Your 'thankful for' list is similar to mine.

What's this Mr. M'KOO stuff? I thought you were Maxi Mark. :P

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Unknown said...

I love a holiday that reminds us to be thankful. Gratefulness cures a world of emotional ills in my book. Have a blessed day, Mark!

Al Diaz said...

I think I know how your friends overseas feel. I often happen to walk into festivities across the world that we don't have here in Mexico. However, I understand the essence of being thankful and I'm thankful too, for health, for family and for people like you. So, even though it'll be just Thursday in Mexico, I say Happy Thanksgiving to you. :)

Elephant's Child said...

It is just Thursday here in Oz (and it is Thursday as I type). Just the same, being thankful for the myriad of wonderful things and people is something I strive to do EVERY day. And the warmth and wonder of the blogosphere is one of the things I am so very, very happy to have found. It has enriched my world and my heart.

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Wishing you a wonderful day.

JJ said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

PK HREZO said...

You are extremely blessed to live in HI. My hubby and I talk about moving there all the time. We love it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Mark!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Mark--hugs to you and your family and do let your wife know that the McKye household appreciate her service to her country. She could not do it as well without you and the boys. You precious 4 become her respite, her base, her joy after a hard day. It's a family you hold dear that brings home why one serves one's country. It's for all the families and that way of life that is important.

God is merciful and I firmly believe he holds us dear and watches over us. I'm so glad his hand brought you here and has given you such riches, Mark. He merely amplified an already loving heart.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Morgan said...

I love the spirit you bring, Mark! If I had to go to battle, I'd want you by my side yelling, "Tulach Ard!" (More Scottish than Irish, but you get the idea...)

Huge Happy Thanksgiving to you and fam. Hope the day is lovely. :)

Online Beauty Store said...

Your reasons really nice. Thanks for sharing useful information. Professional Website Design Company Bangalore

Elise Fallson said...

All wonderful things to be thankful for! And man do I get that question of where I'm from all the time, except mine's usually like this... "They hear my American accent, subdued, but always there, and I’m often asked if I’m from England and then it’s normally, “Like... why the hell did you come here? And I'm like . . . *shrugs* Oh look, a squirrel! :P Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. (:

Unknown said...

I lived in Ewa Beach, Oahu most of my growing up years and although that was 45 years ago there isn't a day goes by that I don't miss my Hawaiian home. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

klahanie said...

Hi Mazza,

Ah yes, Thanksgiving. Actually, I get some strange looks when I mention Thanksgiving in England. Okay, I get strange looks, anyway. I mention Thanksgiving to my starstruck fans in England at the beginning of October. They've only heard of the American Thanksgiving.

Such a thoughtful posting by Al. I was delighted to note your good self included in the Hall of Fame. Al, like you, is the ethos of a sharing, caring blogging community.

And then, precious moments spent with your three sons. That's truly what it's all about. Those special moments, captured forever in your heart.

I'm grateful to have you as a friend. Happy after Thanksgiving. Happy Hawaii weekend.

Gary :)

Ella said...

Beautiful post Mark! I can see the joy in this pool-magic in those memories! I will have to check out your links-how wonderful to be included in Al's post! I am happy our paths crossed-your writing always makes me feel like we are neighbors and kindred spirits!

I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and nothing was broken other than the bread ;D

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Mark I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Loved to see your name in Dragon Breath. Al's tribute to us had me in tears.

SpacerGuy said...

Have fun this thanksgiving, Mark. I like the happy buzz you've got going.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - hope you, your wife and little ones will have lots of amusing times - happy Thanksgiving .. cheers Hilary

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!
Web Designing Company Bangalore | Web Development Company Bangalore

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;